On this page:

For Development
For Buildings
Additional Permits
For Subdivisions
How to Change a Planning Bylaw
Appealing a Development Decision

For Development

The Town’s Land Use Bylaw establishes the Town’s system for making decisions on development permits. The Land Use Bylaw establishes: the type of development permits that may be issued; requirements for specific types of development; the procedure for applying for and the processing of an application; the conditions that may be attached to the issuance of a development permit; and the period of time that a development permit remains in effect. The land use bylaw allows for a certain amount of discretion on the part of the development authorities, to vary some of the regulations established by the Land Use Bylaw. If your proposed development does not meet all of the regulations, applying for a variance, with the Variance Application, may allow the development authority to consider your application, and the development authority may grant the variance.

A development permit is required for any new development on a property, or the change of use of a property/existing building. This includes: Building a new residence; Building a garage; Adding a use to a building (such as a home occupation); Developing a new commercial building; and, Changing the use of a commercial building. Not all developments will require a development permit application, and those that are exempt can be found under the section “Development Permits Not Required” in the Town’s Land Use Bylaw (LUB). When in doubt, a development permit is required.

The Town has a maximum of 40 days to process the development permit application, once the application is complete and all required information has been received from the applicant. Often a development decision is issued in much less than 40 days. For complex applications, the development authority may require more than 40 days. In this case, the Town and the applicant may sign an extension agreement.

Applications for discretionary uses must go to the Municipal Planning Commission for a decision. MPC meetings are held twice a month. Complete applications must be received a minimum of seven (7) full working days prior to the MPC meeting to allow administration time to review the application and prepare the required information for the MPC meeting agenda. For more complex applications, more time may be required. More information about the MPC can be found on the Development Authorities page.

For information regarding development permit applications, please contact the Town’s Development Officer.

For Buildings

In the interest of public safety and, as required by the Safety Codes Act of the Province of Alberta, all building installations must be covered by a Building Permit and are subject to appropriate inspections. Building permits are required for the construction, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition, or change of occupancy of any building.

The Town of Peace River is accredited to administer Building Permits and has currently contracted building permit and inspection service to Superior Safety Codes Inc. Applications and drawings must be submitted to the Town Office, where they will be forwarded to the permit agency.

For information regarding the building permit process, please contact the Town’s Development Officer.

Additional Permits

In addition to your Building or Development Permit, you may require additional permits such as but not limited to:

A Roadside Development Permit from Alberta Transportation.

A Safety Code Permit including Electrical; Gas; Plumbing; Private Sewage. The Town is not accredited to administer these permits. These permits must be obtained through accredited permit agencies. Within the Town of Peace River these agencies are: Superior Safety Codes Inc., and The Inspections Group Inc. You can contact either of these companies.

Superior Safety Codes Inc. 1-866-999-4777 or visit their website.
The Inspections Group Inc. 1-866-554-5048 or visit their website.

Alberta One Call

The applicant is responsible for ensuring that they have all the required permits and approvals needed for their development.

For Subdivisions

Subdivision is a legal process involving the creation of individual titled lots from larger parcels of land. Legislative authority for subdivision approval is provided by the Municipal Government Act and the Subdivision Authority Bylaw No. 2063.

You need subdivision approval when:

  • Realigning or readjusting a lot line;
  • Subdividing one or more lots into two or more lots;
  • Subdividing one or more lots into a bare land condominium.

Please contact the Subdivision Officer for a pre-application meeting prior to submitting your subdivision application. The subdivision application outlines the required minimum information requirements. Depending on the complexity of the application and its location in the town, more information may be required by the Subdivision Authority to consider the application complete.

The Subdivision Officer is responsible for the complete processing of subdivision applications including:

  • Reviewing the initial application;
  • Processing the complete application;
  • Public notification;
  • Issuing decisions;
  • Endorsement of final plans and documents.

Subsequent to an initial subdivision approval you have one year to finalize the subdivision and create new lots or units. You must:

  • Provide a complete subdivision endorsement package to the Town;
  • Meet all conditions of approval;
  • Register the subdivision plan at Alberta Land Titles.

For information regarding subdivision applications, please contact the Town’s Subdivision Officer.

How to Change a Planning Bylaw

If your proposed development is inconsistent with the current planning direction set out in the Municipal Development Plan or an Area Structure Plan, or is inconsistent with the regulations set out in the Land Use Bylaw, the Town may be unable to approve your application. In this situation, you may apply to amend these bylaws to update the planning direction and/or regulations they establish.

In the context of a land development application, a road closure is an application to permanently close a portion of a public roadway. To permanently close a road, a road closure bylaw must be passed by Town Council and approved by Alberta Transportation, and a sales agreement must be negotiated and signed by the Town and the applicant.

For information regarding the bylaw approval and amendment process, please contact the Town’s Municipal Planner.

Appealing a Development Decision

A decision on a development permit application or a subdivision application and the issuance of a stop order may be appealed by the applicant or affected persons to the Town’s Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB). Any persons appealing a decision must submit a completed Subdivision and Development Notice of Appeal Form within 14 days for a subdivision decision and 21 days for a development permit decision.

More information about the SDAB and the appeal process can be found at the Peace Regional SDAB webpage.

For information regarding the appeal process, please contact the Town’s Development Officer.