In Peace River two key utilities are managed wholly by the municipality, these include water and sewer as well as waste and recycling collection. These services are not funded through property taxes but instead are paid for by the users through a monthly billing system.
Setting up an account
Since water rates are based on consumption, it is important to set up your utility account as soon as possible to ensure water meter readings are processed prior to moving to a new residence. Meter readings cannot be backdated as there is no way to determine what the water usage would have been on a particular day.
When setting up your account, you will be asked to complete and sign an Application for Water & Sewer Service as well as provide acceptable photo identification (e.g. driver’s license). A deposit may also be required. A $25 service charge applies to all new accounts and transfers of accounts.
When moving out, don’t forget to request a final meter reading. You are responsible for all charges until a final meter reading has been completed.
The billing period for utility bills runs from mid-month to mid-month. Bills are processed towards the end of each month and payments may be made by cash, cheque, debit card, or through telephone or online banking.
Sign up for Pre-Authorized Utility payments
For additional information or if you have questions please contact the Utilities Clerk at (780) 624-2574.
Info for renters
Utility accounts automatically return to the owner’s name when a tenant moves out of a rental property. The account remains in the owner’s name until there is an application from a new tenant or unless the owner requests that the water be turned off (“cc” shut off).
It is very important for owners to ensure that tenants have made arrangements for switching the utilities to the tenant’s name prior to tenancy to ensure accurate meter readings and to avoid being charged for utilities used by tenants.
For utilities and taxes the Town of Peace River accepts payment in the following ways:
- Cash, Cheque or Debit Card at the Town Office – Office hours are Monday to Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed holidays)
- After office hours, you may drop your payment off in the DROP-OFF BOX located at the south-side entrance of the Town Office (please do not deposit cash in the mail slot).
- Post-dated Cheques – may only be post-dated up to and including the due date. Please make cheques payable to: The Town of Peace River.
- Mail – must be postmarked by Canada Post no later than the due date.
- Internet Banking – available at most banks. Please note that when setting up your payment via internet banking, your customer id number/account number will be your six digit tax roll number.
- Telephone Banking – available at most banks.
If you have a question regarding payment methods please contact our office during business hours at 780-624-2574
Utilities Consumer Advocate office (UCA)
The UCA is a branch of Service Alberta and has a mandate to educate, advocate, and mediate for Alberta’s residential, farm, and small business electricity and natural gas consumers.
Visit ucahelps.alberta.ca to compare electricity and gas prices in your area, view historical rates, or get help resolving utility-related issues.