Taxi Pass Program

Appointments are no longer required to buy Taxi Passes.

Questions:  Phone: (780)624-1000
E-mail: [email protected]

2024 Price Increase

Town Council has conducted an in-depth review of the Taxi Pass program over 9 months, including considering public feedback.  One of the items under review was the subsidy level, which has not been changed since 2018. Currently, the subsidy covers 85% of the cost of taxi fare. In other communities with similar programs the subsidy is only 50%.

Council has decided to reduce the Taxi Pass subsidy by 5% per year over the next 4 years.

The price client pay for passes will increase to $20.00 per book.  The price increase will take place after Council passes the 2024 Fees and Charges Bylaw, which is planned for the end of January.  The earliest the increase will take place is February 1.

Year Subsidy Level Cost to Town per book Cost to client per ticket Cost to client per book
2023 85% $85.00 $0.75 $15.00
2024 80% $80.00 $1.00 $20.00

Applying & Renewing

You can apply quickly and easily online using a smart phone by clicking the link below.  The documents you will need are listed on the application form.  You can also bring your documents to the Town Office to apply.

It will take up to 5 business days for your application to be processed. We will contact you to let you know if your application has been approved.

Please call (780)624-1000 if you have any questions about applying.

Participating Taxis

The following companies accept Taxi Passes:

  • Peace River Taxi – 780-624-3020
  • Ruby’s Taxi – 780-625-6853
  • 2 Tone Taxi – 780-618-4980
  • Valley Taxi – 780-625-4383

*This information is current as of December 15, 2023

What is the Taxi Pass Program?

The Taxi Pass Program provides subsidized taxi passes to eligible low-income clients who live in the Town of Peace River.

Since its inception the program has focused on seniors and individuals with disabilities receiving AISH, and thresholds for those income categories are based on Alberta Government benefit programs.  In 2011 the program was expanded to assist individuals and families with very low income as well as students at Northern Lakes College and residents at the Women’s Shelter.  The income limits for individuals and families are acknowledged to be very low and are intended to support those in extreme need.

Who is Eligible for the Taxi Pass Program?

To qualify for Taxi Passes you must live in Peace River and meet one of the following criteria.  You must be 18 or older to apply for Taxi Passes, unless you are a student at Northern Lakes College or an Independent Minor, see below.

  • Senior age 65 and over.
    Income Levels are based on the Alberta Seniors Supports Program.
    Single Individual:  $31, 080 or less
    Combined family income below $50,720 for a Senior with a spouse or partner.
  • AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped) recipient
    Income must meet the requirements of the AISH program.
  • Low Income – Individual
    Annual income below $15,000 for a single adult with no children.
  • Low Income – Family:
    Combined Family income below $25,000.
    A family can be a couple with no children or one or two parents with dependent children. Combined family income means the income of both adult partners in a family, if applicable.
  • Students at Northern Lakes College
    Students are approved for the dates of their enrolment.  For example, if you are attending classes from September to June, you will expire on June 30.  You will need to reapply with proof of enrolment the next school year. NLC Students who are under 18 are eligible to apply.
  • Independent Minors
    Minors aged 16 or 17 who are living independently and meet the income requirements for Individual or Family may be eligible.  A referral from a school or social worker is required, please contact Community Services at (780)624-1000

AISH Statement Requirement

Attach a copy of all three parts of your AISH statement to your application:

Where do I Buy Passes?

Passes are sold at the Main Town Office, 9911-100 Ave

Hours: Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Fridays 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
Payment Methods: Debit or Cash – NO CREDIT CARDS
Accessibility: First-floor entrance with ramp.

How Many Passes Can I Buy?

You are allowed to buy up to 3 books of Taxi Passes every month. Each book has 20 passes. In cases of Severe Medical Need, you may qualify for 4 books per month, please see below.

Do I Need ID to Buy Passes?

You will be asked to show your ID every time you come in to purchase, so please make sure you bring it with you. We accept many types of ID, and your ID does not need to have a photo on it. Some of the accepted types of ID are: Driver’s License or Government ID card, School ID, Passport, Alberta Health Care Card, Treaty Card, Metis Nation ID card, Firearms card, or birth certificate. Please contact Community Services if you have questions about ID.

How Do I Use Taxi Passes?

Each pass is worth $5 towards the cost of a taxi ride and is used like a $5 bill. You can pay the entire cost of the ride using passes, or you can choose to use a combination of passes and cash. For example, if your ride costs $15 you can pay with 3 passes, or you could decide to pay with 2 passes and $5 of your own cash.

The Taxi Bylaw requires all taxis to post their rates on the vehicle. You can also ask how much your ride will cost when you call for a ride, so that you know how many passes you will need.

Passes do not expire, if you don’t use all your passes this month you can use them later.

Can I Buy My Passes Early?

You must wait until the first business day of the month to buy your passes, even if the first of the month falls on a weekend or holiday. The Town Office is closed on Statutory Holidays.

What If I Didn’t Buy My Passes Last Month?

You are only allowed to buy passes for the current month, you cannot carry purchases over to the next month.

Who Can Buy My Passes? – Alternate Purchasers

Under most circumstances, you should buy your passes yourself.  However, if you cannot come in to buy your passes because of poor health, work schedule or other reason you can designate one other person to buy your passes. To authorize this person, you will need to come to the office and fill out an Authorization for Alternate Purchaser form in person, and it must be witnessed and signed by a staff member.  It will expire after one year and then you will need to come in and sign a new form. You can also choose an expiry date if you only want to authorize the person for a short time.

What If I Need More Passes? – Severe Medical Need

In the case of Severe Medical Need, you can apply to purchase one additional book of passes per month. The maximum number of books allowed for any individual is 4 per month. You must qualify and apply for the Taxi Pass program under either Senior, Low Income Disability or AISH before you can apply for the additional Severe Medical Need passes.

Severe Medical Need means you need to go to the hospital for life-saving medical treatment at least once a week for an extended period. Examples are dialysis, daily IV antibiotics or fetal monitoring for a high-risk pregnancy. Appointments such as physiotherapy or lab work do not qualify as Severe Medical Need.

If you have a Severe Medical Need, you can have your doctor or another health care provider such as a dialysis nurse fill out a Severe Medical Need form. You will be approved for the duration of your need only, which may be only one month. If your condition is permanent, you may be asked to provide another signed form in the future so we can ensure our records are correct.

Severe Medical Need Form (PDF | 115kb)

What If I Have a Problem with a Taxi?

If you have a concern about the Taxi Pass Program, such as a driver not accepting passes, or charging more passes than the posted rate, please report your concerns to Community Services, (780)624-1000 or [email protected].

If you have concerns that are not about Taxi Passes, such as unsafe or erratic operation, cleanliness, courteous service, fares, or other matters related to taxi service please contact a Community Peace Officer at (780) 624-2574.

I Have More Questions, Who Can I Contact?

The Taxi Pass Program is administered through the Community Services office of the Town of Peace River, and you should call or e-mail if you have any questions. The Main Town office sells passes but may not be able to answer all program-specific questions.

Phone: (780)624-1000
E-mail: [email protected]