Information for 2021 Town Council Candidates
Last Updated January 5, 2021
This page will be updated with the most recent information available for candidates seeking municipal office in the 2021 Peace River Municipal Election, please check back regularly for updates.
On this page:
Signup to receive updates
To receive an email whenever this page is updated, please fill out the form below:
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
COVID-19 has clearly affected our lives in significant ways and may impact the rules or processes around the upcoming municipal election.
For example, Minister Allard signed a Ministerial Order on December 14, 2020, permitting candidates to pay their deposits by debit or credit card in addition to the cash, certified cheque or money order options prescribed within LAEA.
Because of the uncertainty around the pandemic, the Town has created this candidate page to distribute and share information with candidates and will contain the following information:
- The most recent 2021 Municipal Election Handbook for Potential Candidates;
- Any legislated changes or Ministerial Orders issued by the Province of Alberta;
- Any public health guidance issued by Alberta Health Services; and
- Any operational decisions made by the Town respecting voting processes, safety practices or public safety relating to the municipal election.
Important Links & Information
- Town of Peace River Handbook for Potential Candidates.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs Municipal Elections Website.
- Municipal Government Act.
- Local Authorities Election Act.
- Local Authorities Election Act fact sheets and Q&A.
- A Candidate’s Guide: Running for Municipal Office in Alberta.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs municipal election forms.
- A guide produced by Alberta Municipal Affairs for women running for municipal office.
Nomination Day: September 20, 2021 – by noon
Advance Votes: Friday, October 8, 2021 – 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Athabasca Hall (9705 98 Avenue), Saturday, October 9, 2021 – 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Athabasca Hall (9705 98 Avenue)
Incapacitated Vote: The Town is reviewing its ability to offer an incapacitated vote option during the pandemic. A decision will be made in the first half of 2021.
Election Day: Monday, October 18, 2021 – 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Baytex Energy Centre (9810 73 Ave)