On this page:
Dial 811 from anywhere in Alberta, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week for telephone health advice and health information. Calls are answered by a registered nurse. Visit https://myhealth.alberta.ca for additional information.
Public Health Services
Programs and services include Building Better Babies, Oral Health Programs, Car Seat Safety and Inspections, Health Promotions, Breastfeeding Support/Lactation Consultant, Immunizations and Prenatal Classes.
Peace River: (780) 624-7260
Grimshaw/Berwyn: (780) 332-6506
Red Earth Creek: (780) 649-2242
Associate Medical Clinic, Peace River: (780) 624-2581
Mental Health Services
Call 780-624-6151, Services provided at this Peace River location include walk-in counselling, assertive outreach services and regional collaborative service delivery with school-based and school-linked mental health teams.
Peace River Municipal Library: 780-624-4076
Grimshaw Library: 780-332-4553
Berwyn Women’s Institute Municipal Library: 780-338-3616
Dixonville Community Library: 780-971-2593
Nampa Municipal Library: 780-322-3805
Red Earth Creek Public Library: 780-649-3540
Bibliotheque de St. Isidore: 780-624-8182
Toy Lending Libraries
Peace Playland in Peace River – (780) 618-6714
Peace River School Division #10
Holy Family Catholic Regional Division #37
Northlands School Division #61
Family & Community Support Services (FCSS)
For more information on programs, recreation opportunities and services, contact your local FCSS office:
Peace River FCSS:
Nampa/ Harmon Valley/ Reno/ Marie Reine FCSS:
St. Isidore/Three Creeks/ Wesley Creek FCSS:
Cadette Lake FCSS:
White Buffalo Cultural Society FCSS:
Services for Families
Serving Northwest Peace, Fairview-Clearhills and Manning & District
Peace Parent Link provides services and supports to families and links them with other resources available in the community. Services include Triple P Parenting Programs, parenting courses, developmentally appropriate Learning through play programs for toddlers, preschoolers and parents, a resource lending library, parenting information and pamphlets, developmental screenings and drop in play during all open hours. All programs are FREE, everyone is welcome!
Phone (780) 624-0770 for more information or visit peaceparentlink.ca
Early Childhood Interventionist
The purpose of this program is to enhance the child’s development and strengthen the family’s ability to adapt to the challenges of having a child with exceptional needs, call (780) 624-7253 for more info.
In partnership with community agencies and service providers, The Sagitawa Friendship Society will provide opportunities and programs that assist the people of the community to feel valued, supported, and capable of reaching their full potential. Phone (780) 624-2443 for information on programs and services.
Voluntary home visitation programs tailored to meet each family’s individual needs. Contact Families First for programming in Peace River and area at (780) 624-2451, and in Manning and area phone (780)-836-4722. Contact Healthy Families in the Fairview area by calling (780) 835-6110.
Northwest Child and Family Services
Alberta Supports helps connect seniors, persons with disabilities, lower income Albertans, and children and youth with programs and services that can assist with daily living; employment and training; abuse, bullying, homelessness and other emergency situations. Albertans can call, click or come-in to access to more than 120 social-based services. Dial 1-877-644-9992, or go to albertasupports.ca, or visit the Peace River Alberta Supports Centre.
Phone: 780-624-6460 for the Peace River Office, phone (780) 835-7191 in Fairview and area.
Midwest Building 9715 – 100 St, Peace River AB
Childcare & Early Education
The Inclusive Child Care Program provides on-site early intervention services for children from birth to grade one who demonstrate a need for additional behavioral and /or developmental supports within Early Learning and Child Care Programs. Specialists work in collaboration with children, families, caregivers and community agencies to ensure children’s successful inclusion and healthy development.
For more information please contact an Inclusive Specialist in your area. Phone (587)-479-9084, firstname.lastname@example.org.
An early intervention class for 3 – 6 year olds with mild to severe delays in speech or motor skills.
7701 – 99 Street, Peace River, AB
Located inside Ecole Des Quatre-Vents School.
Sugar Plum Tree Day Care Centre – Preschool & Day Care
Peace Regional Outreach Campus Day Care
PRPNSS offers preschool classes to 3 and 4 year old children. They are located at the Al Adair Rec Centre in Peace River. They offer a fun and safe environment for children to become prepared for their kindergarten year.
9702 – 98 Street, Peace River, AB
A fully licensed program offered to children ages 3 and 4 years.
Duncan’s First Nation Day Care/ Headstart
Children & Healthy Eating
How Can I help my Toddler and Preschooler eat healthy food?
- Canada’s Food Guide can help you choose healthy food for children. Canada’s Food Guide has four food groups: Vegetables & Fruit, Grain Products, Mile & Alternatives.
- Offer your child a variety of foods from all four groups. Young children have small stomachs and need to ear small, regular meals/snacks throughout the day.
- Plan for breakfast, lunch and supper with choices from three to four of the food groups.
- Plan two to three snacks per day with choices from two of the food groups.
- Canada’s Food Guide is available at www.hc-sc.gc.ca or from your local public health centre.
How Can I help my Child Enjoy Healthy Food?
- Enjoy healthy family meals together as often as possible.
- Offer a variety of healthy foods for meals and snacks.
- Keep mealtimes as pleasant as possible.
- Remember that children will eat different amounts of food from day to day.
- Help children to listen to their bodies to eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full.
Eating Healthy Foods Helps Children in Many Ways.
- It helps children get the vitamins and minerals their bodies need.
- It helps children have energy all day long.
- It helps their brains develop.
- Healthy food helps children’s bodies grow. It helps to form strong teeth, bones and muscles.
- Healthy food helped protect children against diseases now and in the future.
- It helps children develop healthy eating habits for life.