PEACE Foundation Development Permit Application
Posted October 29, 2019
Following a public feedback process and open house on October 17 The Town of Peace River is issuing a temporary development permit to the PEACE Foundation.
The Town of Peace River would like to thank everyone who took the time to provide feedback regarding the PEACE Foundation’s proposed development. We acknowledge that this proposal is controversial and the issues surrounding homelessness in Peace River are complex. The Town is striving to balance the PEACE Foundation’s proposal with the concerns of the neighbourhood. Some of those concerns, which were received as written feedback include the potential impacts of the operations on the safety of persons and property, as well as the operational capacity of the PEACE Foundation to successfully provide the space and services proposed. The Town of Peace River is issuing a temporary permit to allow a pilot period to more accurately evaluate the impacts of the use on the adjacent area.
The Temporary permit is subject to specific conditions that we hope will help to mitigate the impacts on the neighbourhood.
- This permit is a temporary Development Permit. This permit will expire on May 30, 2020. The Foundation will have to apply for a new development permit to continue operations past this date.
- No beds are allowed on or in the premises, under the “Office” use.
- The maximum hours for operation, where the Office and Drop in Center are open to the public/clients, are from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm, daily. This does not preclude PEACE Foundation staff from working onsite outside these hours.
- A minimum of two (2) staff must be present during operational hours to the public.
- The front and rear yard gates must be closed and locked when the operation is closed.
- Security cameras must be installed within 30 days of opening but no later than December 15, 2019.
- The developer shall submit the PEACE Foundation Procedural Manual within 30 days of opening but no later than December 15, 2019.
- A sign must be posted onsite, providing a number or email that the community may use to contact a member of the PEACE Foundation.
These conditions are intended to establish minimum operational standards, consistent with the information provided in the application, or to establish operational limits that are consistent with the development of an office, in an effort to balance the Foundation’s ambitions with the community’s concerns.
This development permit is subject to an appeal until November 19, 2019. If you have any questions, please contact Susan Martineau, Development Officer at email@example.com.