Town Council Update – October 9, 2018
Tap or click the titles to view the relevant attachment.
The minutes of the September 24, 2018, Regular Meeting of Council were approved. Tap or click the title above to view them.
Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
A representative from the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) presented to council on the state of the energy industry in Canada. A copy of the presentation is available by tapping or clicking the link above.
Sir Alexander Mackenzie Historical Society
A representative of the Sir Alexander Mackenzie Historial society presented to council regarding a request for the funding of printing costs for Peace River Remembers Volume 2. A copy of the letter outlining the presentation is available by tapping or clicking the title.
NAIT Boreal Plant Seed Technology Access Centre
Council approved a motion to send a letter of support with regards to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology’s (NAIT) application for funding to establish a plant and seed technology access centre.
Physician Accommodation Funding
Council approved a request from the Shell Rotary house to redirect physician accommodation funding from the Peace River and District Health Foundation to the Shell Rotary House. That will apply for the rest of 2018, funding for future years will be subject to budget approval and the completion of a funding agreement between the Town and Shell Rotary House.
Letter of Support for NDMP Application
Council approved a request for a letter of support for the Province to conduct a flood risk assessment under the National Disaster Mitigation Program (NDMP).
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Training
Council approved a request brought forward by Councillor Orren Ford to host a Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design training workshop. In order to offset costs invites will be sent to neighbouring municipal Councils to see if they would like to cost-share and take part.
Attendance at Small business Week Dinner
Council was enabled to attend the 2018 Small business Week dinner hosted by the Peace River and District Chamber of Commerce.
Cannabis Consumption Bylaw
Council discussed the possibility of a Cannabis Consumption bylaw, deciding more information was needed. Staff will collect info over the first six months following legalization to help Council determine if there is a need for a specific bylaw. Details on public cannabis consumption can be found here.
Staff reports sent to Council.
- Engineering and Infrastructure Monthly Report
- Corporate Services/CAO Monthly Report
- Community Services Monthly Report
Includes information, news, and letters sent to Council that does not require a formal Request for Decision.
- Letters from Municipal Affairs in respect of petition application August 28, 2018 – Letter from Municipal Affairs re Request for inspection, September 10, 2018 – Letter to ADAM Sandberg at Municipal Affairs, and September 25,2018 – Letter from Municipal Affairs re Audit.
- Meeting with Hon. Kathleen Ganley, Minister of Justice regarding the Alberta Community Crime Prevention Association, (audio report only).
- Peace River and District Health Foundation: 2018 Boobtour Comedy Tour
- Invitation to Fire Hall Open House
- Thank you letter from Peace River Pride Society regarding support for 2018 LGBTQ2S+ Pride Weekend.