Peace Parent Link Funding
Posted November 13, 2019
Recently the Government of Alberta announced changes to the funding and operation model for several services that include Peace Parent Link.
As of now, nothing is changing at Peace Parent Link. Funding and program support are stable until March 31, 2020.
The Government of Alberta has also issued a Request for Proposals for interested parties to operate Parent Link Centres after March 31, 2020. The Town of Peace River believes strongly that Peace Parent Link is important to our communities in the region and we will be submitting an operational proposal to the Government of Alberta. The process requires a submission by January 16th, 2020.
Additional updates will be provided after the Town of Peace River has progressed through the RFP process. We anticipate knowing more in the new year.
Peace Parent Link, although funded by the Government of Alberta, has been operated by the Town of Peace River on their behalf for the last five years. Peace Parent Link has an office in Peace River and Fairview and provides services to the immediate region; including out to Manning, Grimshaw, Fairview, Little Buffalo and many other communities. This partnership has been extremely valuable, and the services provided by Peace Parent Link are sorely needed in our community and the region. Recently with the opening of the Baytex Energy Centre, the Town of Peace River allocated space for Peace Parent Link, this reduced their operational costs from the previous location while making services more accessible and better streamlined with access to the Baytex Energy Centre.
- In the last month the Peace River location has had 39 new memberships and in Fairview 5 new memberships.
- The drop-in centre in Peace River is averaging between 38 and 40 people per day.
- Parent Link has operated in Peace River for 14 years (5 operated by the Town of Peace River).
- Offers five core service areas: Early Childhood Development and Care, Parent Education, Information and Referral, Family Support, and Developmental Screenings.
- Between April 1 and September 30, 2019, Peace Parent Link served 327 Parents or Caregivers, 293 children aged 0 to 5 years old, and 44 children aged 6 to 17 years old.