Backyard Fire Pits
A fire in the backyard is a great way to enjoy our long summer days, spend some time with family or friends, or keep warm and cook some food on a starry night. This is Alberta though and the threat of human-started wildfires is a very real one and so there are a few rules to keep everyone a little safer.
Do I need a permit?
Not if you’re having a standard campfire in a fire pit and there is no fire ban or restriction in place, see below for more details, all other fires require a permit. Applications for a permit can be made at the Town Office during regular business hours.
What constitutes a fire pit?
- “Pit Fires” are permitted without the requirement for a permit under the following conditions:
- A “Pit Fire” means a fire, which is totally confined within a non-combustible structure, or container, that has draft and smoke vents thereof covered with a heavy gauge metal screen having a mesh size not larger than 13 millimetres (1/2 inch)
- The Fire Pit or Structure shall be a minimum of 3 metres (10 feet) from any combustible structure or material
- Such fires shall be fueled only with seasoned wood, charcoal, coal, natural gas or propane
- Such fires shall only be used for the purpose of cooking food, obtaining warmth or viewing for pleasure
- Fires should be supervised at all times and a method of extinguishment should be kept on hand (bucket of water, working garden hose)
- Caution should be exercised in windy conditions
- Fires should be completely extinguished (soaked with water, stirred and soaked again) before leaving unattended
Restrictions and Bans
When necessary the Town of Peace River’s fire department may issue a partial (restriction) or complete ban on backyard fires. If this happens we ask that you follow the guidelines, which would be posted on the Town’s main page of the website. Bans or restrictions are only implemented if forecasts and current temperature show a wildfire hazard danger, typically we follow the lead of Alberta Forestry, however, that depends on local weather here.