Superintendent of Public Works, Permanent Full Time Position
The Town of Peace River is accepting applications for permanent full time Public Works Superintendent (NOC 0414) position for the Engineering and Infrastructure Department, with a 3-month probationary period.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering and Infrastructure, the successful applicant will be a member of the management team who plans departmental priorities, ensuring alignment with corporate goals and objectives. This position will perform various tasks and duties as assigned by the Director, including support services to other departments of the Town of Peace River. The Public Works Superintendent will assist the Director with overall leadership of the planning, coordination, maintenance and implementation of all aspects of Town’s infrastructure.
Central to this role is the ability to exercise considerable independent judgment and discretion in all aspects of the work, and to ensure the necessary liaison within Town departments, residents, businesses, outside agencies, and other government agencies as required.
The Public Works Superintendent’s prime duty will be to manage and administer the Town of Peace River Public Works Department. The department is responsible for:
- Road network infrastructure;
- Public sidewalk infrastructure;
- Public stairs;
- Water distribution infrastructure;
- Wastewater collection infrastructure;
- Fleet maintenance; and
- Facilities maintenance.
This position will assist the Director in providing support for:
- Water and wastewater infrastructure;
- Cemetery operations;
- Capital projects;
- Asset management;
- Trail maintenance; and
- Other duties as may be assigned from the Director of Engineering and Infrastructure.
Applicant shall possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. Candidates with a minimum of a 2-year post-secondary technical diploma in Civil Engineering Technology from a recognized institution will also be considered.
- Registered, or is able to be registered, with APEGA (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) as a P. Eng. (Professional Engineer) in the Province of Alberta, or with ASET (Association of Science and Engineering Technology) as a C.E.T. (Certified Engineering Technologist).
- Minimum of 10 years of related municipal, or engineering consulting experience to municipalities, including: Road construction and maintenance, water and sewer line construction and maintenance, and fleet and facilities asset management.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers license.
The following qualifications will be considered an asset to this position:
- Knowledge of Great Plains Dynamics Diamond Municipal Solutions software;
- Alberta Environment (AEP) unrestricted Level II Certificate in Water Distribution (WD);
- Alberta Environment (AEP) unrestricted Level II Certificate in Waste Water Collection (WWC);
- Knowledge of ArcGIS;
- College Certificate in Water and Wastewater Treatment, or a 2 year College Diploma in a related engineering or environmental program; and
- Completion of the APWA Public Works Supervisor Level Three course.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to use tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and direction;
- The ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines;
- A helpful demeanor and positive attitude while dealing with the public;
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and in an effective manner both orally, and in written correspondence;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi- task several projects;
- Knowledge of Autocad Map 3D, and other Autodesk products
Applicants must have a demonstrated in-depth knowledge of:
- Knowledge of current municipal practices and standards;
- Knowledge of Alberta Occupational Health and Safety programs;
- Supervisory and leadership practices including that of performance management; and
- Capital and operating budget preparation and management.
Applicants must be available for emergency on-call work as required.
Hours of employment: Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 5:00 pm
Closing Date: Open until suitable candidate is found.
Wage: Salary range between $80,489 – $101,086 dependent on education and experience
Job descriptions are available upon request.
Please submit resumes to:
Leanne Cottrell, Human Resources Coordinator
Town of Peace River, Box 6600 Peace River, Alberta T8S 1S4
Fax: (780) 624-4664
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however only those applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.