Deadline to submit ideas is November 1, 2019.
It’s less than 3 months until the Centennial Time Capsule is closed! Wonder what we’ve got so far? See the list below! Still want to make a contribution? There’s time! Have you submitted an idea but don’t see the item on the list? Please contact us to confirm, or submit your item soon!
Please contact the Time Capsule subcommittee through the contact form at the bottom of this page before November 1, 2019. The earlier we can finalize individual items, the better!
As part of the Town of Peace River’s Centennial Celebrations, we are putting together a time capsule to celebrate our 100th year, to be sealed at the end of this year. It will be opened in 50 years during the Town’s our sesquicentennial year in 2069. The time capsule will document and celebrate the town in 2019.
What will go inside the capsule?
To get things started the committee has already added, a North Peace Navigators jersey signed by this year’s team, a program from the Navigators first game in 2019, and a copy of the Peace River Record Gazette’s first issue for 2019, pictured above.
Time Capsule Items so far:
- Bridge Project Partnering Charter between Alberta Transportation, AECON and Flatiron
- Grad Programs – Glenmary, Peace High and Outreach
- Fountain Tire Poster from the opening of new shop
- Record Gazette featuring Treaty 8 Memorial
- Smoky River News w Powwow items
- Northern Lakes College 2018-2019 program and pin
- Treaty 8 Commemoration Event Program & Coin
- Evacuation Center Registration Card & Information from the Town’s website
- The plaque commemorating the opening of the old arena, dated December 15, 1978 which was demolished in 2019
- 2019 North Peace Performing Arts Festival program
- The local constituency debate for the 2019 provincial election
- 2019 Move Up Magazines
- Flyers from a number of local businesses to show 2019 prices
- Peace Players 2019 production tickets and program (the Drowsy Chaperone)
- Navigators signed jersey and Jan 11, 2019 game program
- Sixties Scoop event at Museum agenda and poster
- A 2019 aerial picture of the Town
- 2 T-Shirts and magnets from the radio station
- Airshow program
- Culture Days Submission
- Library 85th Anniversary Program
- Town of High Level Fire Department medallion & a Sticker created by Raye’s Sign to commemorate Peace River’s generosity, support & wholehearted willingness to help so many evacuees !
- Material samples from the new Baytex Center
- Aboriginal Gathering and Powwow 2019 Calendar
Expecting (but waiting on):
- A picture from the Musical Ride
- A photo album from AECOM, the bridge contractor, to commemorate the new bridge
- A submission from the Peace River Chamber of Commerce, to commemorate our local businesses
- A submission from each school
- A Summer Fun submission
- A submission from the Sagitawa Friendship Center
- Pictures of Main Street in 2019
- A Peace River Scottish Society club photo and one of the medals from their 2019 competition
- A collection of Centennial Swag from our Centennial events
- A picture of our 2019 Town Council
- A Pride Committee item commemorating Pride 2019
We are looking for more items to place in the capsule and are asking the community to submit ideas.
Guidelines for time capsule submission
- Items must be related to the community of Peace River and the year 2019. For example, a non-profit group hosting an event this year could submit an event poster.
- No large or bulky items, less than 2 lbs. and smaller than 12”x12”x6” as space is limited.
- Items must be freely given and become the property of the Town of Peace River upon acceptance.
- Items can be objects, photographs, or documents.
- The Centennial Committee has the final say on which items will be included.
We are currently accepting submissions, the deadline to submit your idea is November 1, 2019.
Please note, the time capsule project is focused on celebrating our present, not the past 99 years. Historical items are not the focus of this time capsule, we are looking for items that represent Peace River in the present 2019.
In order to get your submission to the Centennial Planning Committee for review please fill out the form below. Right now we are requesting only photos of the items and/or descriptions. Once we have selected which submissions will be included the Committee will contact the successful applicants.
This information is being collected for the purpose of accepting submissions for a time capsule under s.33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All personal information will be managed in compliance with the provisions of the FOIP Act. Questions about the collection of this information can be directed to the Director of Corporate Services (780) 624-2574.