Job Posting: Superintendent of Public Works
The Town of Peace River is accepting applications for one permanent full time Superintendent of Public Works (NOC 0414) position for the Engineering and Infrastructure Department.
The Town of Peace River is a vibrant growing community of 6744 residents situated in the beautiful Peace River Valley and the convergence of the mighty Peace River, the Smoky River and the Heart River. The area economy is comprised of a strong agricultural and forestry base, along with an active oil industry. As the urban service centre to the Peace Region, the Town is positioned for additional growth. The Town of Peace River is seeking a dedicated, motivated, and dynamic professional to join our team.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering and Infrastructure, the successful applicant will be a member of the management team who plans departmental priorities, ensuring alignment with corporate goals and objectives. This position will perform various tasks and duties as assigned by the Director, including support services to other departments of the Town of Peace River. The Superintendent of Public Works will assist the Director with overall leadership of the planning, coordination, maintenance and implementation of all aspects of Town’s infrastructure.
Central to this role is the ability to exercise considerable independent judgment and discretion in all aspects of the work, and to ensure the necessary liaison within Town departments, residents, businesses, outside agencies, and other government agencies as required.
Permanent, Full Time Employment
Salary: $80,489—$101,086 Dependent on education and experience.
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found
The department is responsible for:
- Road network infrastructure;
- Public sidewalk infrastructure;
- Public stairs;
- Water distribution infrastructure;
- Wastewater collection infrastructure;
- Fleet maintenance; and
- Facilities maintenance.
This position will assist the Director in providing support for:
- Water and wastewater infrastructure;
- Cemetery operations;
- Capital projects;
- Asset management; and
- Trail maintenance.
Applicant shall possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. Candidates with a minimum of a 2-year post-secondary technical diploma in Civil Engineering Technology from a recognized institution a will also be considered.
- Registered, or is able to be registered, with APEGA (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) as a P. Eng. (Professional Engineer) or P.L. (Eng) in the Province of Alberta, or with ASET (Association of Science and Engineering Technology) as a C.E.T. (Certified Engineering Technologist).
- Minimum of 5 years of related municipal, or engineering consulting experience to municipalities, including:
- Road construction and maintenance;
- Water and sewer line construction and maintenance; and
- Fleet and facilities asset management;
- Valid Class 5 Drivers license.
The following qualifications will be considered an asset to this position:
- Knowledge of Great Plains Dynamics Diamond Municipal Solutions software;
- Alberta Environment (AEP) unrestricted Level II Certificate in Water Distribution (WD);
- Alberta Environment (AEP) unrestricted Level II Certificate in Waste Water Collection (WWC);
- Knowledge of ArcGIS;
- College Certificate in Water and Wastewater Treatment, or a 2 year College Diploma in a related engineering or environmental program; and
- Completion of the APWA Public Works Supervisor Level Three course.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to use tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and direction;
- The ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines;
- A helpful demeanor and positive attitude while dealing with the public;
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and in an effective manner both orally, and in written correspondence;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi- task several projects; and
- Knowledge of Autocad Map 3D, and other Autodesk products
Applicants must have a demonstrated in-depth knowledge of:
- Knowledge of current municipal practices and standards;
- Knowledge of Alberta Occupational Health and Safety programs;
- Supervisory and leadership practices including that of performance management; and
- Capital and operating budget preparation and management.
Applicants must be available for emergency on-call work as required.
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Job descriptions are available upon request. Qualified applicants are invited to forward their resumes, in confidence, to the address below (quote Competition # 18/023).
Leanne Cottrell, Human Resources Coordinator
Town of Peace River, Box 6600 Peace River, Alberta T8S 1S4
We thank all participants for their interest, however only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.