Job Posting: Public Works Lead Hand – Water
Posted January 20, 2023
The Town of Peace River is accepting applications for one (1) permanent, full time Public Works Lead Hand —with a heavy focus on water distribution and wastewater collection.
Peace River is a scenic, vibrant community in Northwest Alberta, that is home to just under 7,000 residents. The community is situated in the Peace River Valley and straddles the banks of the mighty Peace River. The town is a five hours drive north of Edmonton and two hours northeast of Grande Prairie.
Full Time • Permanent Employment
Wage: $39.93 per hour
Hours: Monday to Friday 40 hours per week
On Call required
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found.
Reporting to the Foreman of Public Works, the Public Works Lead Hand is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Town of Peace River including:
- Operating and maintaining the Town of Peace Rivers Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection System to Federal, Provincial and AWWA standards;
- Safely performing various duties as assigned by the Foreman or the Superintendent of Public Works, or their designate, related to the overall maintenance of the Public Works Department and other agencies of the Town of Peace River;
- Assisting as required in the supervision of the Public Works Department Water/Wastewater Operators, Machine Operators and Labourers in relation to the general operations and maintenance for all municipal infrastructure systems;
- Providing advanced knowledge in relation to the operations and maintenance requirements on municipal infrastructures systems;
- Advanced operation of all Public Works Department’s small hand tools power tools, light equipment and heavy equipment;
- Operate a variety of trucks and equipment, including: hydrovac truck, vacuum trucks, and water trucks;
- Periods of strenuous physical work may exist;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a team and safety focused environment;
- Ability to work in all weather conditions for extended periods of time;
- Ensuring that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes and acting in a safe manner at all times;
- Maintain equipment through preventative maintenance; and
- Timely and accurate completion of all required paperwork.
Applicant shall possess the following:
- Minimum level of formal education required is Grade 12 Diploma;
- Alberta Environment and Parks Level II Certificates in Water Distribution (WD) and Wastewater Collection (WC);
- Valid Alberta Class 3 driver’s license with air brakes endorsement;
- Clean 5-year drivers abstract;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following equipment: Vacuum truck, Hydrovac truck, Water truck, Sewer flusher equipment, Trailer mounted stormwater trash pump, Trailer mounted emergency generator;
- Experience with hand and mechanical tools;
- Experience and operation of light/heavy equipment in relation to various facility equipment;
- Ability to lift 25lbs regularly throughout the day;
- Standard First Aid/CPR certificate;
- WHMIS/TDG certification;
- Knowledge of Equipment Safety and Trenching Safety;
- Advanced knowledge of all municipal infrastructure systems;
- Basic knowledge of computer programs/applications; and
- Demonstrated supervisory and administration skills.
The following is would be considered an asset:
- Demonstrated experience in project administration including project planning, supervision and reporting, budget preparation and cost control;
- Heavy Equipment Safety in relation to all facility equipment;
- Ability to operate front end loaders, graders or excavators; and
- Heavy Equipment Operator certificate from a recognized training facility.
What We Offer:
- Your work will have a direct impact on quality of our residents’ day-to-day lives.
- Opportunities to gain a variety of experience in your position.
- Regular training opportunities to expand your skills and knowledge.
- Short commute to work
- Local work; sleep in your own bed.
- Parking is free.
- Our leadership team values your voice and input and welcomes feedback.
- A defined benefit pension plan and a competitive health and benefits package that start from day 1.
- 3 weeks vacation.
- We offer a gym membership, safety footwear allowance and safety eyewear allowance.
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Job descriptions are available upon request. This position is within the scope of C.U.P.E. Local 898 and as such, you will be required to adhere to the articles contained within the Collective Agreement.
Qualified applicants are invited to forward their resumes (as PDF or Word documents only), in confidence, to [email protected] (quote Competition No. 23/001)
We thank all participants for their interest, however only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.