Job Posting: Public Works Lead Hand — Equipment
The Town of Peace River is accepting applications for one (1) permanent, full-time Public Works Lead Hand, with a heavy focus on equipment operation.
Reporting to the Forman of Public Works, the Public Works Lead Hand is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Town of Peace River, including:
- Operating and maintaining the Town of Peace River’s Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection System to federal, provincial, and AWWA standards.
- Safely performing various duties, as assigned by the Forman or the Superintendent of Public Works, or their designate, related to the overall maintenance of the Public Works Department, and other agencies of the Town of Peace River.
- Assisting, as required, in the supervision of Public Works Department Water/Wastewater Operators, Machine Operators and Labourers, in relation to the general operations and maintenance for all municipal infrastructure systems.
- Providing advanced knowledge in relation to the operations and maintenance requirements on municipal infrastructures systems.
- Advanced operation of all Public Works Department’s small hand tools, power tools, light equipment, and heavy equipment.
- Operate a variety of trucks and equipment, including vacuum trucks, water trucks, excavators, skid-steers, and backhoes.
- Periods of strenuous physical work may exist.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a team- and safety-focused environment.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Ensuring that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes, and by acting in a safe manner at all times.
- Maintaining equipment through preventative maintenance.
- Timely and accurate completion of all required paperwork.
The Applicant shall possess the following:
- Minimum level of formal education required is Grade 12 Diploma;
- Valid Alberta Class 3 driver’s license, with air brakes endorsement;
- Clean 5-year driver’s abstract;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the operation of a minimum of 10 pieces of the following equipment:
- Motorized grader
- Tandem axle dump truck
- Single axle dump struck
- Snow plow sander truck, tandem axle, c/w plow
- Snow plow sander truck, single axle, c/w plow
- Vacuum truck
- Hydrovac truck
- Street sweeper
- Water truck 3,000 gal.
- Loader, rubber tire
- Loader, tracked
- Bobcat, skid steer, c/w attachments
- SMI snow blower, loader mounted
- Backhoe loader, rubber tire
- Compaction equipment, vibratory steel roller
- Sewer flusher equipment
- Experience with hand and mechanical tools;
- Experience and operation of light/heavy equipment in relation to various facility equipment;
- Ability to lift 25lbs regularly throughout the day;
- Standard First Aid/CPR certificate;
- SHMIS/TDG certification;
- Equipment Safety;
- Trenching Safety;
- Advanced knowledge of all municipal infrastructure systems;
- Basic knowledge of computer programs/applications; and,
- Demonstrated supervisory and administration skills.
The following would be considered an asset:
- Demonstrated experience in project administration, including project planning, supervision and reporting, budget preparation, and cost control;
- Heavy Equipment Safety in relation to all facility equipment;
- Heavy Equipment Operator certificate from a recognized training facility; and,
- Water Distribution/Wastewater Collection certificates issued by Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP).
Full Time • Permanent
Wage: $39.93/hour (currently under review)
Hours: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week. On-call required.
Closing date: Open until a suitable candidate is found.
What we offer:
- Your work will have a direct impact on the quality of our residents’ day-to-day lives;
- Opportunities to gain a variety of experience in your position;
- Regular training opportunities to expand your skills and knowledge;
- Short commute to and from work;
- Local work: sleep in your own bed;
- Parking is free;
- Our leadership team values your voice and input, and welcomes feedback;
- A defined benefit pension plan, and a competitive health and benefits package.
Qualified applicants are invited to forward their resumes, in confidence, to the email address below, quoting Competition No. 23/008:
Manager, Employee Services
We thank all participants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job descriptions are available upon request. This position is within the scope of C.U.P.E. Local 898 and as such, you will be required to adhere to the articles contained within the Collective Agreement.
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.