Peace River is the cultural and economic hub of the north Peace Region. The town of 6700 people is nestled in the Peace River valley. The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre is the local museum featuring Peace River history. The Museum focuses specifically on the Town’s history, but the Archives has a regional collection mandate for the north Peace Region. Established in 1967, it is home to more then 8,500 artefacts and more than 13,000 archival items.
The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre requires an Archives Assistant to assist with processing the backlog of archival material in the archives and the back log of historical material at the town ready to be transferred to the archives. The Archives Assistant is accountable to the Archivist but will also be expected to support museum staff delivering visitor services and public programming throughout the summer.
The Archives Assistant is a full time, temporary position with the Peace River Museum, Archive and Mackenzie Centre, a Town of Peace River owned and operated facility.
Job Duties Include:
- Orient visitors to the Museum and Archives
- Assist patrons with their research needs; respond to research requests
- Assist with assessment of incoming donations
- Improve quality of archival entries in collections management software and update fonds descriptions as directed by the Archivist
- Physically process archival material, including its arrangement and description
- Scan archival material identified as priority by the Archivist
- Assist the Archivist and Heritage Coordinator as needed with other relevant tasks
This position is in part funded by the Young Canada Works employment program and to be considered, candidates must be registered in the YCW Candidate database. YCW criteria state that candidates must be:
- Between the ages of 16 and 30 years;
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Have been a full-time student in the semester prior to the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the fall.
The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified Canadian students. Due to the nature of the work, the candidate must be able to navigate short ladders and carry 20kg. The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
Dates of Employment: May 14, 2018 – August 24, 2018
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week. Some weekend work will be required
Wage: $16.00 per hour
Location: Peace River, AB
Closing Date: March 2, 2018
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume to Competition # 18/010:
Ph: (780) 624-4261
Fax: (780) 624-4664
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however only those applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.