Job posting: Archival Assistant
Posted August 10, 2018
Temporary, Full-Time Position
Wage: $19.00 per hour
Term of Employment: September 10, 2018— March 29, 2019
Hours: 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours
Peace River is the cultural and economic hub of the north Peace Region. The town of 6700 people is nestled in the Peace River valley. The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre is the local museum featuring Peace River history. The Museum focuses speciﬁcally on the Town’s history, but the Archives has a regional collection mandate for the north Peace Region. Established in 1967, it is home to more then 8,500 artefacts and more than 13,000 archival items.
The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre requires an Archives Assistant to assist with processing the backlog of archival material in the archives and the back log of historical material at the town ready to be transferred to the archives. The Archives Assistant is accountable to the Heritage Coordinator, and will also receive direction from the Archivist and Records Management Coordinator.
The Archives Assistant is a full time, temporary position with the Peace River Museum, Archive and Mackenzie Centre, a Town of Peace River owned and operated facility.
Job Duties Include:
- Orient visitors to the Museum and Archives;
- Assist patrons with their research needs; respond to research requests;
- Assist with assessment of incoming donations;
- Improve quality of archival entries in collections management software and update fonds descriptions as directed by the Archivist;
- Physically process archival material, including its arrangement and description;
- Scan archival material identified as priority by the Archivist;
- Assist the Archivist and Heritage Coordinator as needed with other relevant tasks ; and
- Work under the direction of the Records Manager of the Town scanning and processing material identified by them for possible transfer to the archives and for long term preservation.
This position is in part funded by the Young Canada Works employment program and to be considered, candidates must be registered in the YCW Candidate database. YCW criteria state that candidates must be:
- Between the ages of 16 and 30 years;
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Have been a full-time student in the semester prior to the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the fall.
- Education: Post-secondary degree or certificate in library science, archival science, records management, or conservation. Candidates with degrees in History and Public History may also be considered, especially if they have archival experience;
- Experience: 0-1 years working in an archival setting;
- Research experience with primary and secondary resources is required;
- Knowledge of RAD and other archival descriptive standards;
- Candidate should have an eye for detail, be well organized, and have good written and communication skills;
- Comfortable with performing repetitive and detailed tasks that may be considered tedious;
- An awareness and astuteness of political matters in public administration;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with people in a sensitive, tactful, diplomatic, and professional manner at all times; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe Photoshop
Additional assets (though not essential):
- Previous experience using Docushare;
- Previous experience using ResourceMate Collections Software;
- Experience working in a municipal setting and records management are also valued; and
- Although not essential, it would be helpful for the candidate to have the ability to read basic French, as there is a small percentage of records at the Archives and Town Hall that are written in French.
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Job descriptions are available upon request. The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check. Qualified applicants are invited to forward their resumes, in confidence, to the address below (quote Competition # 18/037).
Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm mst on August 24, 2018.
Leanne Cottrell, Human Resources Coordinator
We thank all participants for their interest, however only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.