Intermunicipal Development Plans (IDP)
What is an IDP?
An Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDP) is a plan developed jointly by 2 or more neighbouring municipalities to manage decision-making for an area of land in close proximity to the shared boundary. The IDP is a statutory plan, outlined in the Municipal Government Act (MGA), meant to enhance regional cooperation and collaboration by helping to facilitate efficient and compatible land development by addressing:
- Future land use and the process for future development proposals in the area,
- Environmental matters as well as social, physical or economic development matters,
- Co-ordination and ﬁnancing of intermunicipal programs, services, facilities, and infrastructure,
- Procedures for conﬂict resolution and amending or repealing the plan, and
- Administrative matters related to the plan.
What is the plan process?
Who does it affect?
An IDP affects stakeholders, landowners whose lands are located within the IDP joint planning area boundary, and anyone interested in developing within the joint area. The IDP document will provide landowners, stakeholders and other interested parties with the appropriate land uses and development options for their land based on the policies adopted within the plan. It is important that future development is compatible with existing residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural uses; major transportation routes; and signiﬁcant environmental features and landscapes.
Who are we doing an IDP with?
How can I find out more information?
If you would like to ﬁnd out any further information on the process or a content of the IDP please contact:
Alisha Mody, RPP, MCIP | Manager of Planning (Acting)
email: [email protected] Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency
Box 450, 5109-51 St. Berwyn, AB T0H 0E0
Intermuncipal Development Plan (IDP) (2019)
- Bylaw 2046 Town of Peace River and Northern Sunrise County
- Bylaw 2047 Town of Peace River and County of Northern Lights
- Bylaw 2048 Town of Peace River and Municipal District of Peace
IDP Plan Areas
Peace River and Northern Sunrise County