Carbon Monoxide Awareness

December 30, 2021

With the current extremely cold temperatures, your furnaces and hot water tanks are working hard to keep your homes warm and your water hot. These temperatures can cause the moisture in the exhaust gases, from these appliances, to freeze around the outlets of the flues which may lead to a blockage of the exhaust flow which could lead to a buildup of the poisonous Carbon Monoxide gas in your homes.

Local Fire Departments recommend that you check the flue outlets, where safe to do so, and ensure you have working Carbon Monoxide Alarms in your homes. Solid wood burning fireplaces and stoves should also be checked to ensure sufficient venting of the smoke and gases from the burning wood or other fuel.

Please click the links below to read more carbon monoxide safety tips to keep you and your loved ones informed and safe:

Safety tips – CO – Safety Codes Council

CO Safety – NFPA