Archival Assistant – Internship
Posted 2 August, 2019
Peace River is the cultural and economic hub of the north Peace Region. The town of 6700 people is nestled in the Peace River valley. The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre is the local museum featuring Peace River history. The Museum focuses specifically on the Town’s history, but the Archives has a regional collection mandate for the north Peace Region. Established in 1967, it is home to more then 8,500 artefacts and more than 15,000 archival items.
The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre requires an Archives Assistant to assist with processing the backlog of archival material in the archives and the back log of historical material at the town ready to be transferred to the archives. The Archives Assistant is accountable to the Archivist but will also be expected to support museum staff delivering visitor services and public programming throughout the summer.
The Archives Assistant – Internship is a full time, temporary position with the Peace River Museum, Archive and Mackenzie Centre, a Town of Peace River owned and operated facility.
Job Duties Include:
- Orient visitors to the Museum and Archives;
- Assist patrons with their research needs; respond to research requests;
- Assist with assessment of incoming donations;
- Improve quality of archival entries in collections management software and update fonds descriptions as directed by the Archivist;
- Physically process archival material, including its arrangement and description;
- Scan archival material identified as priority by the Archivist;
- Assist the Archivist and Heritage Coordinator as needed with other relevant tasks.
This position is in part funded by the Young Canada Works – Building Careers in Heritage employment program and to be considered, candidates must be registered in the YCW Candidate database. YCW criteria state that candidates must be:
- a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time;
- are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy.
Dates of Employment: September 09, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week. Some weekend work will be required.
Rate of Pay: $21.00 an hour
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Closing Date: August 17, 2019
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check. Qualified applicants can send resumes to the address listed below.
Please quote Competition #19/042 when applying.
Human Resources Coordinator
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however only those applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.