Job Posting: Public Works Foreman
Posted February 13, 2019
The Town of Peace River is accepting applications for one (1) permanent, full-time Public Works Foreman accountable to the Public Works Superintendent.
The Foreman will be responsible for providing leadership and management of the Public Works Field Staff, site coordination of contractors and assisting the Superintendent in providing support for other Town Departments.
Full Time • Permanent Employment
Salary: $71,597—$89,920 annually
Hours: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week 8:00am to 5:00pm
Closing Date: February 24, 2019
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, directs and coordinates the day-to-day operation of the department field section to achieve the department mission and goals.
- Co-ordinate activities between Public Works and other Town Departments.
- Ensures the department field section is fully staffed, and that team members are fully trained to respond to all calls.
- Recommends the purchase of supplies and equipment for the field section.
- Develops and monitors maintenance, repair, construction, and operating procedures and programs for the department jointly with the Superintendent of Public Works.
Required Technical Competencies:
- Grade 12 High School Diploma, or equivalent;
- Minimum of 10 years of related municipal, or engineering consulting experience to municipalities, including: Road construction and maintenance, water and sewer line construction and maintenance, fleet and facilities asset management, and valid Class 3 drivers license with air brakes endorsement.
Desired Technical Competencies:
- Alberta Environment (AEP) unrestricted Level II Certificate in Water Distribution (WD);
- Alberta Environment (AEP) unrestricted Level II Certificate in Waste Water Collection (WWC);
- Completion or eligible to complete the APWA Public Works Supervisor Level Three course.
- A helpful demeanor and positive attitude while dealing with the public.
- Works well with others and handles direction and criticism in a positive manner.
- An awareness and astuteness of political matters in public administration.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with people in a sensitive, tactful, diplomatic, and professional manner at all times.
- Strong management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to use tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi- task several projects;
- Supervisory and leadership practices including that of performance management;
- The ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of Alberta Occupational health and safety programs;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and direction;
- Practical knowledge and experience in computer systems and business applications;
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and in an effective manner both orally, and in written correspondence; and,
- Knowledge of current municipal practices and standards.
This position will include being on call after hours on a rotating shift basis, and must be immediately available to respond when on call.
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Qualified applicants are invited to forward their resumes, in confidence, to the address below (quote Competition # 19/010).
Human Resources Coordinator
We thank all participants for their interest, however only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.