Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

CO-Awareness-Week_website-banner2015

Its a silent killer; an odourless, colourless, and toxic gas, and in an enclosed space, such as a home or garage, even a small amount can cause serious illness or death.

That’s why the office of the Alberta Fire Commissioner has declared Nov. 1 to 7 2015 as ‘Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week,’ in Alberta, to raise awareness about the risks and symptoms.

Remember to:

  • Test alarms once a month.
  • Replace batteries once a year, if applicable.
  • Vacuum alarms regularly.
  • Replace alarms every seven to 10 years, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

How does Carbon Monoxide get in my home?

Carbon monoxide is produced through the incomplete combustion of a fuel. This can occur when a fuel-burning appliance, for example, your furnace is not properly maintained, a vent is blocked or damaged, or a vehicle is left running in an attached garage, even with the overhead door open.   This is particularly important now that winter is coming (Source Alberta Fire Commissioners).

To help ensure your safety the Government of Alberta has created this checklist

Want more information? Visit the Alberta Government’s CO Awareness Week info page on the web or check out Carbon Monoxide Safety Canada’s website.